About the International Opera Academy
The IOA offers a specialised two-year fulltime programme to singers and pianists from all over the world, to prepare them for future professional careers as opera singers or repetiteurs. The IOA cooperates with a variety of partners: opera houses, music theatres, concert halls and orchestras.
Studying at the IOA
The programme covers two academic years, which run from the beginning of October until the end of June.
The IOA educational programme is structured around four subject pillars, each covering a set of courses: (1) Interpretation and Technique; (2) Acting and Movement; (3) Opera Theory; and (4) Practice.
- The first academic year focuses on teaching students the different skills necessary to become exceptional professionals: interpretation, technique, movement, acting, and opera theory. Students also participate in several concerts and a small-scale production.
- During the second academic year, all students participate in minimum one fully-staged opera production with orchestra. Further, students can obtain internships with one of the IOA’s professional partners.
To select its talented students, the IOA conducts an international process of audition every other year. The next round of auditions takes place in 2020-2021.
- You start as a student, and graduate as a professional
- The IOA provides intensive individual training
- The IOA provides you with unique opportunities, aimed to help your future career
- Ghent is a cultural hotspot